Friday, May 28, 2010

Another reason why Pink IS NOT my favorite color...

Anyone who knows me, knows that pink ain't really my thang. I may be a girly girl, but I've never been a huge fan of the Pepto-Bismol shade. As I sit here on Friday afternoon relishing the first moments of relative peace and quiet I've had in TWO DAYS, I have another reason to add to the list why pink is solidly among my least favorite colors.

In addition to everything for a little girl being slathered in the sickly shade, my daughter's eye is now among the victims dragged into the red and white mixture's abyss. On Wednesday, she woke up with her left eye a little less than white (ok, it was pink), but I thought that was from lack of sleep, since she woke up at midnight and refused to lay it back down until after 3 a.m. She was up, playing, talking and being her usual post-7:30 a.m. self, except it was three in the morning (did I mention that it was 3 A.M.?!) After grabbing just an hour and half sleep, there was no way I was rolling out of bed to do anything that involved a squat/clean/jerk or row as per the usual at my intense 5 a.m. workout class. So, that would make the second day I missed my CrossFit class this week (catch up on that here). The daycare called me at work to say her eye was looking pink (hmmm) and they just wanted to let me know.

Then, that afternoon, they called back after lunch and asked me to come get her, because it was not only pink, but now oozing whatever an eye shouldn't ooze (Ewwww!). We get home and I see it, but her doc had me givng her Children's Zyrtec, so I attribute it to allergies and her 3 a.m. party session. Thursday was the wake up call though. She woke up with her eye nearly crusted shut and all puffy, so I call the doc, get an appointment and off we go. She has pink eye. We get the eye drops, head home and life is good. That evening after dinner though, something went wrong.

I give her a bath (my first clue should've been the pooping in the tub, but I don't really want to talk about that), wash her hair and get her ready for bed. As I'm combing out her hair and braiding it up, she starts intermittenly kicking her legs, screaming in agony and grabbing at her diaper. After the third time, I take the diaper off, clean off the diaper cream position her in front of the fan with her legs open (every lady needs a little fresh air down there) and I think we're good. At 8:30 p.m. she nods off, I start back on her hair. From 8:30-about 1 a.m., my diaperless child goes through 10 min. intervals of agonizing screaming and flailing and napping...like CLOCKWORK! I call the doc like a million times ("Give her tylenol," "Have you tried a warm bath?" "Maybe it's gas? Try Mylicon.") None if this works, but eventually she dozes off at one something. I watch her, check the clock expectanly 10 mins. later,and wait for her to start crying again, but it appears that sweet sleep has finally earned its surrender.

At five a.m. she wakes up, I pick her up and she's radiating heat. No really, I can see heat waves emanating from her body. Her temp is 102.3. I get as much of the Tylenol down as I can--what she doesn't spit back out that is. Wipe her down with a cool cloth, turn on the fan and call doc...again. She wants me to bring her in. The office opens at 8:30 a.m. She dozes off on my chest at 7 a.m. and I suffer thorugh feeling like an oven is attached to my chest. At 10, Baby E is still sleep and I REFUSE to wake her up for anything short of the second coming. She finally wakes up up about 10:30, we go to the doc and SURPRISE! she has an ear infection to top off her pink eye!

Yeah, Mommyhood is full of ups and downs, but it is one hell of a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment